The office of dog-whipper – Hertford Mercury and Reformer 3 November 1888:
In reference to the “antient inhabitant” of Great Amwell whose name appears in the register of that parish as having died in 1634, and who, among other occupations, was employed to “correct intrudinge dogges” who visited the church, we find the following note in The Antiquary of August 1886:
“Amongst the officials of Exeter Cathedral, until a few years ago, was the dog-whipper, whose duty was to keep dogs out of the building.
On his death the office, having become a sinecure, was abolished. The office of dog-whipper formerly existed in many large charges, but the late functionary at Exeter Cathedral was the last survivor of his order.”